Hans in Istanbul
There are many Hans in Istanbul which is the center of commerce between the east and west. Although the Hans do not have the same function as in the past, they are important as they contribute to the cultural heritage of Istanbul.
Hans were made in order for the tradesmen coming from far away to stay and keep their good in secure. Tradesmen shelter the animals carrying their goods in the downstairs cattle shed and they spend the night upstairs room, and their goods are kept in stores downstairs and upstairs. Though and safe doors of these buildings were closed against robbery all night and were not opened until the morning.
First Hans of Ottoman Empire period in Istanbul were made in the times of Fatih Sultan Mehmed. Fatih had four Hans constructed; two of them were in Tahtakale and two of them were near Bedesten (covered bazaar). The first constructed Han “Bodrum Kervansarayı” near Bedesten… As the commerce improved, the number of Hans in Istanbul increased. Here, you can find the Hans in Istanbul, our cultural heritage:
Ali Pasha Han II: It is located at the corner of Yorgancılar (Quilt Maker) Street and Cadırcılar (Tent Maker) Street in Grand Bazaar. The building carries the features of 18th Century, it is two-storied and among a cloister sizes of which is 17x27 m. The Han rooms open to these cloisters.
Astarcı Han: This rectangular Han, which was dated to 18th Century, on Yaglıkcılar Street in Grand Bazaar, has a yard and two-storied cloister. Very few of the cloisters have survived.
Balkapanı Han: It is between Yeni Mosque and Kucukpazar. As well as its construction style seen in Istanbul Hans, it is the single sample having Byzantium structure technique. There is no inscription on it; its construction date and architect are not known. It is dated to 16th century because of its architectural style. It has reserved its originality in the Han plans with one yard and two-storied commercial Hans.
Burmalı Han: It is located in Eminonu, Rustem Pasha Vicinity. Rustem Pasha had it constructed to Architect Sinan in 1556. It was a court building at first, and then it started to be used as Han. Its U shaped plan is half yard. It is stone and brick pattern, cloister and two-storied structure.
Buyuk Corapcı Han (Mahmutpasa), Kursunlu Han (Galata), Leblebici Han (Eminonu) can be regarded as the samples apart from social Hans of XVI. Century. These structures are in the group of Hans with one yard and two-storied.
Buyuk Corapcı Han: Chief Admiral Piyale Pasha of Suleyman the Magnificent had the Han which in by the Fincancılar (Cup Makers) Ramp in Mahmutpasa, made. It was made in 16. Century. It has one yard and two-storied.
Kayseri Han: It is located in Architect Kemaleddin Street in Eminonu. It was made by an Armenian architect in 1895. The stonemasonry out of the structure which has a regular rectangular plan carries the art-nouveau features of 19th Century. It is three-storied and there is a roof on it. In the middle of the building there is a yard which has a glass covering. It has 27 rooms.
Kızıl Han (Priest Han): It is located between Hasırcılar Street and Kızıl Han, Buyukbas and Kalcın streets in Eminonu. The entrance of the Han, which is dated to 17th Century is connected to the yard through a hall with barrel vault with a cove having stone profile.
Kilit Han: The Han, between Uzuncarsı Street and Tacirhane Street in Eminonu, was constructed in 18th century on Byzantium structure. Its entrance is on Uzuncarsı Street.
Kurkcu Han: The Han, among Cakmakcılar and Carkcılar Streets in Mahmutpasa Ramp is among the ones constructed after the conquest. Grand Vizier of Fatih, Mahmud Pasha had it made. It was constructed by Atik Sinan. This structure which has two yards and is two-storied was damaged from the fires of the region between 16th -19th centuries.
Leblebici Han: It is in the corner crossing Fincancılar Ramp and Sabuncu Han in Tahtakale. The structure being of the foundation of Hurrem Sultan has classical Han architecture.
Rustem Pasha Han/ Kucuk Cukur Han: It is in Mahkeme Street in Eminonu. Rustem Pasha, son-in-law of Suleyman the Magnificent had it made in 1561.
Rustem Pasha Han /Buyuk Cukur Han: The Han belonging to Rustem Pasha Complex in Eminonu is located between Mahkeme Street and Unkapanı Street. It was made by Architect Sinan and it is three-storied.
Sabuncu Han: The Han is on Sabuncuhanı Street in Eminonu, it is not know when and by whom the building was constructed. It is predicted that the building was made at the end of the 18th century and in the beginnings of 19th century.
Buyuk Valide Han: It is one of the biggest Hans of Istanbul, which is located between Cakmakcılar Ramp and Fincancılar Ramp. Kosem Sultan had it constructed in order to provide profit to Cinili (Tiled) Complex in Uskudar. It is though that there was a Byzantium structure in place of the Han before. There is also a mosque in the yard of the Han which is composed of two parts as Small and Big Han. It has three yards. According to the rumors, Kosem Sultan kept her wealth in one of the rooms of this Han. Her daughter-in-law Turhan Hatice Sultan wife of 4th Mehmed was killed in her room by being strangled with curtain rope in 2-3 September 1651. Her wealth was plundered. A part of the Han, which has 210 rooms, was reserved for the treasure after the death of Kosem Sultan. After the Republic, some rooms were left to the Foundations. General Directorate of Foundations sold some of these rooms in 1940s. Because of the vast quantity of the owners, the rooms of the Han became neglected and rented as bed-sitting rooms mostly where Iranian stayed. When the first Koran could not get fatwa by Shaykh al-Islam, it was printed in the printing house of the Iranians staying in the Han in the 1870s. When some parts of the building collapsed in 19 August 1906 because of disrepair, it was closed by the Governance in 1931.
Buyuk Yeni Han: It is in the Cakmakcılar Ramp and between Carkcılar and Sandalyeciler streets. It does not have inscription and its architect is unknown. It is deduced from the sources that it was constructed in 1764 in 3rd Mustafa period. The first layer is dimension stone and upper two layers is stone and brick pattern. It is long, rectangular and three-storied structure. It has two yards. Two-storied outbuildings, stone moldings and cantilevers bring a monumental appearance to the front face. It is a structure which protected its simple originality.
Aga Han I (Hatip Eminoglu Han): It is on Yorgancılar Street in the west of Grand Bazaar. There is Cebeci Han behind it. As it does not have any epigraph, its architect and causer are unknown. By looking at its architecture, construction technique, and dates of other Hans around it, it is dated to the second half of the 18th century. It is two-storied structure whose three sides are 19 meters and one side is 16 meter in conformity with the area it is situated in. There is an entrance to the uneven yard of the Han from Yorgancılar Street. This entrance is connected to the inclined yard with a passage. It has lost its originality with some places added to the yard currently. Bottom is separated for stores and upper story is thought as living rooms. There was a portico two-storied bottom lancet arch and surpassed vault around the yard. Currently this cloister system has been completely destroyed. Han was constructed as stone and hacking and has lost its frontal architecture.
Ali Pasha Han: It is in Kucukpazar. It does not have an inscription and so its architect is unknown. According to the resources, Ali Pasha from Corlu had it made in 18th Century.
It is two-storied, and has one yard. It is a structure having a mixture of dimension stone and brick. Also, there are two Hans in Grand Bazaar named Ali Pasha.
Ali Pasha Han III: It is between the Cadırcılar Street and Yorgancılar Street in Grand Bazaar region. It is said that Ali Pasha had it constructed but it is not clear. This structure does not have an inscription and belongs to 18th century. Its rectangular plan was tried to be suited to the area it is situated in. There are a range of stores in its main front opening to Yorgancılar Street. The entrance here is cove spacing and it opens to a rectangular yard through a vault shrouded hall. Two-storied cloisters surround this yard. Some parts of places behind these cloisters open to the yard as iwans. As it can be understood from the remaining traces, in these iwans there were furnace niches. There are iron stairs in place of stone stairs. It survived with a degenerated plan.
Baltacı Munhedim Han: It is on a narrow island among Kalpakcılar Street and Iskender Bogazı streets in Beyazıt. This Han, whose causer and architect are unknown to us, belongs to 18th century according to its construction technique. Its plan was suited to Iskender Bogazı street and it is adjacent to Kebab Shop on the right of it and Sorguclu Han on the left. The façade was constructed with the mixture of stone and brick; as it had to suit to the area it was located, it spirals to the up. The entrance which has openings for both right and left is connected to the small yard in the middle being 6x12 m. This Han is two-storied, cloisters have been completely destroyed. Stairs in the yard are not original. Windows looking to the façade and yard are rectangular framed and circular coved. As the cover coat of the structure has been completely changed, there is no trace of originality.
Bodrum Han: The Han is between Yorgancılar Door and Cadırcılar Street in Grand Bazaar is the oldest Han in Istanbul. It was constructed immediately after the conquest of Istanbul by Fatih Sultan Mehmed. The structure sits on an old Byzantium structure and it has thirty one rooms, four stores adjacent to the façade outside. In the old times, these stores were used as the distribution center of fabrics to tradesmen. Currently, it has survived by losing its originality because of additional constructions.
Cebeci Han: It is on Yaglıkcılar Street in Grand Bazaar. It does not have an inscription and its architect is unknown. It can be seen that brick and stonemasonry was improved very much in the structure. Especially its cloister coves and brick labor are interesting. Its architecture is dated to 18th Century.
Cuhacı Han: It is near Nuruosmaniye Mosque. According to the Foundation records, Damat Ibrahim Pasha had it constructed in 18th Century. It has a simple rectangular plan and a yard. The superiority of brick and stonemasonry has given a rich appearance to the outbuilding and cantilever structure. It keeps its originality.
Cukur Han: It is in the triangle area surrounded by Yaglıkcılar, Perdahcılar and Tıgcılar Streets in Grand Bazaar. Since it does not have an inscription, its causer and architect are unknown; however, by looking its architecture technique we can date it to 18th Century. It has got a yard and it is two-storied. The main entrance of the Han is an opening to the Yaglıkcılar Street as simple circular stone cove. It is connected to the small yard being of 11x8 m from here through a narrow place with barrel vault. Although this yard was surrounded by a cloister system in the original, today these cloisters in the ground floors have been completely destroyed. This Han made of hacking stone is adjacent to Mercan Aga Han and Safran Han. Windows on the single façade are rectangular framed.
Elci Han: It was constructed as a part of the Atik Ali Pasha Complex in Cemberlitas in 1510-11. Foreign state guests were hosted in this Han. After 1646, when embassies started to stay in Galata region, Han lost its popularity. It experienced several fire and earthquake. Since the post Tatars stayed here, it was called as “Tatar Han”, it was owned by Osman Bey in the period of II. Abdulhamit. In place of it, a construction was made named “Matba-i Osmaniye” . During the basic excavation of this building, cove and vault remaining and funerary steles belonging to Byzantium period were found. This reconstructed structure was turned into “Cemberlitas Cinema” and then work Han.
Hasan Pasha (Supurgeciler) Han: It is on Beyazıt-Aksaray way. Seyyid Hasan Pasha had it constructed to Architect Mustafa Celebi in 1740. It is two-storied and has a yard. It is one of the limited numbers of guest Hans. It is understood from the remnants that Rococo fountain and pillars are made of marble. It is separated from other Hans in Istanbul with this feature.
Imameli Han: It is between Tıgcılar and Tarakcılar streets in Grand Bazaar region and adjacent to Zincirli Han. There is Kalcılar Han behind it. It does not have an inscription and we do not know its cause, it has the same structure techniques with the adjacent Hans, so it is dated to 18th century. It has single yard and it is two-storied. Its entrance is narrow and circular from Tıgcılar street and stone coved , there is a connected to inclined yard from here through barrel vault passage. Stairs being on the two sides of this passage provides entrance to upstairs. There are two-storied places near this passage which is connected to the yard. Rectangular windows and doors of them open to this passage. As it was suited to the original area, it is also inclined. Although there is cloister system in the yard, these cloisters were removed currently and instead stores were added. Since the upstairs are completely destroyed and away from its original, there is no idea as to its architecture. The façade has been destroyed with additional constructions and from remnants it can be understood that it is brick jointed stonemasonry.
Kalcılar Han: It is on Tarakcılar Street in Grand Bazaar region. It does not have an inscription so the architect is unknown. Considering its similarity with the surrounding Han and its construction techniques, it is dated to 18th century. It took this name because smelter tradesmen gathered here in this Han. As it had to suit to the area situation, it does not have a regular plan. It has a yard and it is two-storied. It has a connection from simple and ledgeless circular coved door to the inclined yard through cross vault passage. There is a door and window opening from the places around the two-storied cloister surrounding the yard. We can understand that it is domed from the remnants and its cover coat has been completely destroyed currently, it is covered with zinc, brick and cement floor. The building has lost its originality and from the traces we deduce that it had hacking stone. Stairs connecting the stories to each other in the yard have been completely changed, and it survived in a degenerated way.
Kasıkçı Han: This Han on Tarakcılar Street in Mahmutpasa ramp and it is adjacent to Kalcılar Han. It does not have an inscription. The construction is dated to 18th century by considering its similarity to the surrounding Hans. It has two façade opening to Mahmutpasa Ramp and Tarakcılar Street, and as this Han was suited to the area, it does not have a regular plan. It has got a yard and it is two-storied. Its entrance from Tarakcılar Street is connected to the yard with a simple circular cove and barrel vault passage. This yard has changed a lot currently and completely lost its originality. It is surrounded by two-storied cloister system. These cloisters are circular coved downstairs and circular brick coved upstairs. According to the remnants, there were furnace niches which do not exist today in the rooms. External walls of this magnificent structure were made of brick hacking. Under the cover coat on external walls, there is saw tooth eaves frieze Additional constructions made in the yard caused deformation of it.
Kızlaragası Han: It is in the area surrounded by Tıgcılar, Perdahcılar and Tacirciler streets in the north of Grand Bazaar. It does not have an inscription and we do not have a document telling by which Kızlaragası had it constructed. According to its construction technique, it is dated to 18th century and it has an inclined yard. It is two-storied commercial Han. Ground floor was separated for stores, and upstairs was separated for living. Its walls suit to the way and it is not so interesting. The façade was made of brick hacking. Its entrance not exactly in the middle of Tıgcılar street is connected to the middle yard through a circular, simple stone cove with barrel vault passage. Two-storied cloister surrounds the yard. The stairs being on the right of the yard go to upstairs and it has lost its originality. Cloister coves downstairs were destroyed with additional places. Upstairs cloisters keep their originality partially and they are lancet arch. The places upstairs open to the gallery with a door and a window. Although cover coat have been completely destroyed and it has been concreted, it can be understood from remnants upstairs that it was covered with cross vault.
Kumrulu Han: It is on Sandalyeciler Street in Cakmakcılar Ramp. It does not have an inscription and its causer is unknown. Its construction style shows the features of 18th century. As the exterior walls of the Han have been changed so much, we cannot say much about its original architecture. But we can say that stone hacking walls show the traditional feature of Istanbul Hans. It has got a yard in the middle and it is two-storied. Its yard has completely been destroyed with additional buildings. Stores near the entrance of Sanadalyeciler street were added later. The original thing in this Han is entrance cove surrounded by a rectangular stone cove. There are five stone cantilever carry outbuilding, which levels the unevenness. There are no cloister coves, we can just see its remnants. Window and door styles have been changed and cover coat concreted.
Kucuk Yeni Han: It is in Cakmakcılar on Sandalyeciler Street. It does not have an inscription and its architect is unknown. It has a single yard, and it is three-storied. It is interesting that grades carrying cloisters were made of brick.
Silahtar Han: It is on Uzuncarsı Street in Tahtakale. It does not have an inscription and it is date to 18th century. It is put forward that its architect was Mustafa Aga, and it is possible that Silahdar Abdullah or Yahya Efendi may be its architect too. It is located on an area of 29x 27m. it has a yard of 12x 14m. and it is two-storied. Its three façade are adjacent to buildings, so it’s only façade is on Uzuncarsı Street. Brick hacking was used in the façade. Its brick hacking façade circular stone coved entrance is connected to the middle yard through a barrel vault hall. Two-storied cloisters have been completely destroyed and the ones against the entrance collapsed. The original architecture of this structure was two-storied but one additional story was added lately. From the remnants, we can understand that the cloisters were made of brick and they are lancet arch. Most of the doors and windows were hanged and the Han lost all of its features. In some rooms there are furnace traces. Inner parts of the Han ruined and it has lost its originality.
Simkes Han: It is on the street in Beyazıt. It is three-storied and has a single yard. It is one of the most important examples of Ottoman civil architecture. It has an inscription dated 1463. It is the first constructed mint after the conquest of Istanbul. Fatih had the coined firstly here. Evliya Celebi wrote that it is a “very stung” structure and it was composed of 161 rooms and 21 stores. At the beginnings of XVIII. And in the period of 3rd Ahmet, Emetullah Hatun had the structure repaired by adding a public fountain and prayer room were added. Currently it has been restored, and turned into public library.
Sofcu Han: It is in the corner where Nuru Osmaniye Street and Tavuk Pazarı Street are connected. It does not have an inscription and it is two-storied. Its architect and causer are unknown. According to its masonry and construction technique, it is dated to 18th century. It has uneven plan because of the obligation to comply with way and area situation. Its entrance is connected to the yard through a barrel vault hall. Passage, yard, ground floor and cloisters are degenerated and ruined. The stairs connecting the cloistered yard to upstairs lose their originality. There is a cellar under the yard covered with barrel vault. The covers of the surviving rooms of the Han shows the traces of spiked eaves made of brick.
Sorguçlu Han: It is between Kalpakcılar Street and Iskender Bosporus in the south of Grand Bazaar. It is between Yolgecen and Baltacı Hans. It does not have an inscription, and it is dated to 18th century by looking at its construction technique. Its entrance on Kalpakcılar street is connected to the uneven yard with a vault covered hall. There is two-storied coved cloister system in the yard it has lost its original texture today. Stores were added to its adjacent near its entrance from Kalpakcılar street and this destroyed its original situation. Downstairs barrel vault places open to a cloister with a circular coved door. Upstairs rooms have been changed with coat system and concrete plaques were covered instead of vault. It has lost its originality today and it has ruined very much.
Suleymaniye Han: This Han representing one part of Suleymaniye Complex is on Suleymaniye Imareti Street on the ground floor under the back façade of the Complex. Suleyman the Magnificent had this Han constructed to Architect Sinan in 1555. As it represents a part of the Complex, its plan is separated from classical Han types. It does not have a yard and it is monospace. Exterior façade walls show integrity with the walls of the complex and they are dimension stone wall. Rubble stones were used for the interior parts. The Han has a low entrance and ground floor windows are plain and it has dull frontal and circular stone cove. Since it does not have an independent plan from the Complex, it has a rare feature and among the rare complex Hans in Istanbul.
Seker Han: It is in the corner where Istanbul Street and Malta Bazaar are connected in Fatih. It does not have an inscription and its causer and architect are unknown. Its construction features show 17th century Han style. It is a building having 29 x32m uneven plan, and cloister in the middle. Its original is two-storied and another story was added to this building later.
Tas Han: It is in Laleli. It is also known as Sipahiler Han, Cukurcesme Han, and Katırcıoglu Han. It is known that III. Mustafa had it constructed for the sheltering of cavalrymen in Laleli Mosque foundations in 1763.
Some parts of it are damaged but it has preserved its originality. It is two-storied and has three yards. It is the only Han having military quality and its front façade is completely stone masonry.
Vezir Han: It is on Vezir Han Street in Cemberlitas. It is written on its inscription that Grand Vizier Fazıl Ahmet Pasha had it constructed in order to add it to Koprulu Complex. Its plan is not as magnificent as it had to comply with the street and area situation. This Han, made of stone and brick mixture, has two yards and is two-storied. The portal of the Han is on the street and this part is three-storied due to the area’s feature. There are 8 stores on both sides of the door on the façade. There is a restoration inscription composing of 5 lines written with talik script on the portal dated 1894-95. From here there is a connection to the first triangular yard with cloister through a barrel vault passage. Second yard is of 70 x 45 m. and it is uneven. Also, it is lancet arch cloister. There are stairs under the cloister in order to go to upstairs. Its doors and windows are rectangular and stone hacking. In the second yard there is a prayer room which lost its function today.
Yagcı Han: It is on an island being between Kalpakcılar Street and Nuruosmaniye and Tavukpazarı Street in the south of Grand Bazaar. When this Han belonging to 18th century was constructed on an uneven area, its plan was regulated according to this asymmetry. Its frontal façade which has changed a lot in Nuruosmaniye street is connected to the two-storied yard with cloister through a lancet arch and sequent passage. If the features of the period are considered, cover coats of the cloisters should have been covered with vault. Currently, this coat system, which has destroyed so much, has been concreted. Furthermore, the rooms have lost their originality. From the remnants, it is understood that the façade was constructed of brick hacking stones. There are a range of stores near the ground floor today.
Yıldız Han: It is between Sultan Odaları and Yesildirek streets in Mahmut Pasha Ramp. On its inscription there is only its construction year which is 1817.
It has got a single yard and it is three-storied commercial Han. It should be the last Han constructed in this region. Ground floor was thought to be for the stores and other two floors were thought for living. We come across the brick hacking stone façade which we saw in 18th century Han here again. Cloisters opening to rectangular yards are circular coved. Grades carrying these belts were made of stone and they are square. Rooms being on the ground floor open to the cloister through a door and upper floors open to the cloister with a window and circular stone coved door. There are a range of stores survived by changing. Outbuildings on the stone cantilevers in the façade rise among the floors through the building and create briskness on the façade
Zincirli Han: It is on Tıgcılar Street in the north of Grand Bazaar. Zincirli Han is thought to be constructed at the end of 18th century. It has a single yard and it is two-storied. Its simple circular stone coved entrance is connected to the yard through a barrel vault passage. There are stairs for the second floor. Furnaces in the rooms could not survive until today. However, stairs and stores upstairs remain. Jewelers had strong doors made inside, but outer doors of the small rooms remain. There are jewelers in the rooms of upstairs. The most familiar face of the Han is the carpet and rug store having the same name with Fat Osman.
Kursunlu (Rustem Pasha) Han: Despite the construction of Hans between Eminonu-Beyazıd having a high commercial potential in Istanbul, the construction of this Han here in 16th Century is important, as this place did not have a commercial potential. This Han was used by Christians mostly. In endowment of Rustem Pasha dated 1561, it is written as “Kursunlu Han”. Grand Vizier Rustem Pasha had it constructed to Architect Sinan in 1561 upon the remnants of Genoese Church Saint Michel on the Tersane Street near Golden Horn. It is of 65 x 35 sized and rectangular. It is composed of two-storied rooms around the yard surrounded by a lancet arch cloister. The grade on the ground floor and pointing and brick work on the walls belong to the remnants of Genoese Church Saint Michel. Upper supports and bearings are completely in the style of 16th century Ottoman Empire architecture. In the middle of the yard, there are stairs arranged as tetremand. The entrance of the structure is a door with a lancet arch. Rooms upstairs and downstairs are covered barrel vault, and the cloister is covered with a dome. The windows are rectangular stone framed. There are some remnants of brick and eaves.
Saksı Han: It is in Galata. It is separated from Istanbul Hans because of its architecture and construction technique. It is thought that a Genoese structure was turned into a commercial Han. It does not have a yard and it is two-storied.
Saint Pierre Han: It is on the Eski Banka Street which is parallel to Bankalar Street in Galata. Kont de Saint Priest, French Embassy in Istanbul between 1768 and 1784, had it constructed for French tradesmen to stay and manage their banking transactions here. It is composed of 5 separate parts. Two buildings constructed for the storage of the goods for tradesmen and lodging were constructed in 1771, the building in the place where Eski Banka Street and Galata tower meet was constructed in 1772, and the building in the corner of Voyvoda Street was constructed in 1775. All of these buildings were made of dimension stone or brick.
The fronts are very simple and there are circular coved windows. Saint Priest’s shire rigging and state rigging of France Kingdom were engraved on these façades. When Ottoman Bank was established in 1863, the first management building was this Han. During this period, some changes were made in and out of the building and the third story was constructed. When the bank moved to its own place in Taksim which it had constructed, the rooms belonging to it were used as office. Later on, this Han was used as “Constantinople Bar Associate” and “Italian Chamber of Commerce”, and it has been used as workplace and plants and it is very neglected and ruined. Although on a marble plate on the frontal façade of the Han, it is stated that famous French poet Andrè Chènier was born here, the home to which the poet was born burned in Galata fire before the construction of this Han and this plate was rescued from the fire and hanged here.
Serpus Han: It is one of the Hans which do not have yard in Galata. It is believed that it was constructed on a Byzantium structure. It looks like the Ottoman Hans of the period with its out walls and stone and brick pattern and its windows with lancet arch.
Yelkenciler Han: It is on the sea part of Tersane Street in Azapkapı. It got this name because sail cloth was manufactured here in 18th century. Kemankes Mustafa Pasha had it constructed. As the death date of Pasha is 1647, it is his work of 17th century. It is 44 x 15 m sizes and has rectangular plan. It has a yard and is two-storied. Rooms on the stories opened to a cloister which does not exist today. The entrance opens to the yard through a barrel vault hall. Upstairs have been ruined so much.
Bereket Han: It is one of the most important Hans of Galata. It is at the end of the island between Bankalar Street and Galata Tower street and Kart Cınar Street. When the Galata was under the command of Genoese, it was made in place of Genova Palace (Palazzo del Comune) which was constructed in 1304 where podesta was living. The palace burned in 1315 and it was reconstructed in 1316 in a gothic style. After the conquest, it existed as the administration center of Genoese Community. There are wall remnants of the palace on the back walls of the Han. The Han took the name of Francini in 19th century, losing its originality, its frontal collapsed during the construction of tramway on Voyvoda Street in 1880. Later on this Han took the name of Bereket Han.
Buyuk Balıklı Han: It is on the island surrounded by Kemeraltı Street and Aynalı Restaurant, Arsın End and Leblebici Sadan Streets in Galata. There had been a wooden hospital where the ill sailors from the ships coming to Istanbul Port were treated in place of the Han. The building had been used until 1753, in order to prevent the contagious illnesses to spread out the city, this hospital was moved out of the city and the building was burned. Patrik II. Yoakim had this Han constructed on the area in 1875 as the real property of Balıklı Rum Hospital with the grants of Zagforos, Zarifi, Hacopulo, Kasonova, Rali and Koronos wealthy rums of 19th century. There is a marble fountain pool in the yard of the Han made in the neo-classical style.
Generali Han: It is on the island between Bankalar Street, Bereketzade Madrasah and Billur Street. “Assikurazioni General”, Head of Insurance Company had it constructed at the beginnings of 1900s to Architect G. Mongeri. It is one of the most beautiful examples of Baroque architecture. The entrance of the building is an iron door constructed in Art-Nouveau style, decorated with plant patterns in a circular cove surrounded by two grooved grade.